Monday, July 12, 2010

My Vegan Dog

So, what do you do when you have a dog that LOVES vegetables? And you can't grow a thing because she eats it before it even gets to a ripened state?
I love Addie, she is our rescued pound puppy (one of our three furry family members)- breed unknown.  My daughter found her in a cage in the middle of a dark room at the county animal shelter.  All you could see were these very sad little eyes peering out of the darkness.  It stabbed you in the heart.  I can remember the apprehension as her eyes darted between each one of us while we all settled in the car to bring her home.  She was definitely glad to be out of  "jail".  She kept examining each one of us as she leaned into the back seat, sizing us up, trying to figure out just what was going to happen now? 
In the beginning, when she was still adapting to her new home, she would take off on us at any opportunity.   And, my poor husband would run off after her to retrieve her.  Most of the time the retrieval would end up with a bath as she managed to find the stinkiest stench and roll in it. 
Still to this day we wonder what her history was.  She shies at loud noises, she scrunches into a little ball with her tail tucked when we call her to us and she still wants to take off.  When Addie sleeps, still to this day, she has what I call night terrors.  It's not like the usual running and yipping that most dogs do when they are in deep sleep.  No, Addie barks, growls and then cries a piercing cry -  doggie nightmares?  It makes me want to get into her head to see just what happened to her.  But, all I can do is love her.  She's a good girl and she's a great companion for our other dog, Elliott.  She "mom's" him all the time.  If he gets obnoxious or out of line she is right there chewing on his ear to calm him down. 
It's hard to describe Addie.  Age - estimated.  Appearance - strange...I call her "Grover Puppy" because her coat is scraggly, snarly and of many different length.  She is not blue like Sesame Street's Grover, but black with white hairs predominantly around her eyes, mouth and between her toes.  She has little wisps of hair that hang off the ends of her ears that dance with her bouncy trot and are almost as long as her ears.  I've thought about trimming her up...but then...she wouldn't be Addie!  Her scraggliness is what defines her.  As welll as her curious canine palate.
We are currently battling over my three spindly little tomato plants.  She won last year with the consumption of my tomatoes and eggplant.   I never got one vegetable and had to put up the white flag.  I was growing my veggies in containers and would watch, in anticipation.  The first beautiful little purple oval eggplant slowly developed and I was excited and anxious for it to mature to the perfect size....and then one morning....as I went out to see it's progress... there it lay....on the ground...the ovalness distorted, the skin ruptured with innards exposed to the elements.   It was lying there, half consumed and the remains left to rot in the hot sun.  I was devastated and could not believe that a rabbit could climb up that high and steal my beautiful purple "egg".   But, I saw another eggplant higher on the plant and I felt there was a second chance! So, I monitored, caressed and watered my second fruit towards maturity and planned what culinary action I would take with this delectable orb. 
Then, one day, I came outside and found that I had been robbed again of the fruit of my labor.  But this time I found the fouled remains between the paws of my ever faithful and loving companion lying next to the clay urn....Addie?  My sweet, precious, devoted Addie?   I was wounded!  How could she do this to me?  How could she be so cruel?  ADDIE?  Then I had to catch myself.  I was wanting to make this a personal attack on me; that her action was not purely to enjoy a delectable vegetable..but directed to intentionally hurt me!  But, then, I realized that she was just foraging and enjoying the fruits of HER labor.  Addie has a unique palate.  She loves watermelon, cucumbers, EGGPLANT, mushrooms, tomatoes...she's an omnivore.
I am determined to prevail this year.  I do have to report the sad loss of my lovely perfectly round Better Boy tomato which was the most recent casualty of this war.  But, after my husband saw my despondency, he took chivalrous action and brought out a chest of drawers that he then placed my tomatoes on.  Hopefully, the higher elevation will be a deterrant and I will at least succeed in obtaining a few tomatoes this year.  My fingers are crossed!!!!  If I fail? I will have to be happy with visiting the farmer's market! 

No comments:

Post a Comment